Gambling in Canada is regulated individually by each province and they have all placed very few restrictions against online gambling.
The relaxed legal status of online gambling in Canada gives Canadian gamblers the ability to choose from a plethora of different international gambling sites that offer their services in English and in French.
Canadians can use the following forms of gambling sites:
- Casino gambling: The Kahnawake reserve in Canada has become a server hub for many Canadian casino gambling sites. These sites offer table games, video poker and slots games, which are all easily accessible by Canadian citizens.
- Poker gambling: The modern poker craze extends to the most northern portions of North America, where Canadians have taken to playing Texas Holdem real money ring games and tournaments. The best Canadian poker gambling sites often have an international reputation and are based on foreign soil but still attract many Canadian amateur and professional poker players such as Daniel Negreanu.
- Sports gambling: Sports gambling is a massive part of the Canadian online gambling industry with millions of Canadian dollars circulating between Canadian players and sportsbook sites. The best Canadian sports gambling sites have complete coverage of dominant Canadian sports like the CFL and the NHL.
In my experience, the best Canadian gambling sites actually go out of their way to cater specifically to Canadians. They do so by providing deposit and withdrawals methods that are capable of quickly moving money through the country’s banking system, accepting CAD payments and providing their software in both English and French.
Depositing with CAD
Gambling sites that accept Canadians provide multiple funding options that make it a pretty simple process to get your account funded. Almost any option you would use for making any other purchase online can also be used for real money gambling in Canada. The most common of these are credit and debit cards, Insta.
Most Canadian gambling sites also provide a few direct bank-to-bank transfer methods such as iDebit, Instadebit and bank wires. These work better for large deposits and require no credit card information. The only thing you need is a bank account.
Can I play in CAD?
You can deposit in Canadian dollars, but I don’t know of any gambling sites that let you actually play in CAD.
After you deposit in CAD, your funds will be converted to USD or EUR whenever you join a table and then convert it back when you leave.
Online Gambling Law in Canada
Canada’s gaming laws are badly dated and don’t directly address the issue of betting over the internet. The laws are therefore open to interpretation (and we aren’t lawyers), but it is generally agreed that there are no laws anywhere that make it a crime to gamble online.
Part VII of the Criminal Code address gambling and does include a bit about visiting “common gaming houses” that could possibly be interpreted to apply to Canadian gambling sites. However, Canadian authorities have never actively pursued charges according to that interpretation.
Qualities Of The Best Canadian Gambling Websites
There are several different attributes to consider when looking for the best Canadian gambling sites. They are:
- Language availability: English is the dominant language in Canada and in the online gambling industry. Canadian citizens should have no problems using the English-based service at the best Canadian gambling sites. However, French is also an officially recognized language in Canada. The very best Canadian gambling sites offer their services in both the English and French language, allowing Canadian citizens to select their preferred language.
- Banking system: The Canadian dollar is the primary currency in Canada but the American dollar is also commonly used.
- Sign up bonus: Canadian gamblers are always on the lookout for the most lucrative bonus offers available.
- Customer support: The best Canadian gambling sites maintain a 24/7 email and telephone customer support system in order to assist Canadians with account registration and banking.
Only a few gambling sites meet the language, banking, sign up bonus and customer support demands of the Canadian online gambling community.